Since the kids have been bugging me recently (i.e. the past four years), I was inspired to make love bug valentines this year. So I created valentine cards with a few different “buggy” messages that I paired with adorable wind-up flipping bug toys.
And because I’m a super nice person, I made the love bug valentines cards that I designed into a free printable that you can download here. Which means you can make your own DIY love bug valentines! Keep reading for the easy instructions. To make the valentines, besides the printable, you’ll need little toy bugs, clear favor bags, white and green paper, scissors, and a stapler.
Love Bug Valentines How-To
- First, download the free printable and then print them on white paper.
- Cut out each card. (There are four cards per sheet.)
- Place each card in a small clear favor bag, with the top of the card in the bottom of the bag.
- Put a bug toy in the favor bags along with the card. I used wind-up flipping ladybug toys that I found at Oriental Trading.
Aren’t these little bug toys the cutest? You can use any bug toy that you’d like, but I love how these bugs wind-up and really FLIP. My daughter thinks they are hilarious.
- Cut out a rectangle from green paper that is the same width as the favor bags. On both long edges of the rectangle, cut up and down to make the sides look like grass. It doesn’t need to look perfect!
- Fold the green rectangle in half, then staple it to the open top end of the favor bag.
I had so much fun coming up with the phrases for each of the four different cards in the printable. Probably because I love any opportunity to be corny. My favorite one is “Bugs and Kisses”; which do you like best?
Happy Valentine’s Day! Here’s hoping that my love bugs don’t drive me too buggy.